Choices in Childbirth School Talks
Research shows that people form their beliefs, values and choices around pregnancy, childbirth and parenting much earlier in life than previously thought. With this in mind, CMWA offers "Choices in Childbirth" presentations for students from Year 8 onwards.
Our aim is to highlight the responsibility and joy of being a parent along with the need to be well-informed, well-prepared and well-supported for the experience of pregnancy, birth and parenting.
Our "Choices in Childbirth" School Talks are tailored to the individual requirements of a class and topics that can be included are
- An exploration of students' values and beliefs about pregnancy, birth and early parenting
- The media's portrayal of pregnancy, birth and parenting
- A powerpoint presentation on choices in childbirth
- A DVD of a water birth set to contemporary music well liked by young adults (without graphic images of birth)
- The opportunity to meet with a breastfeeding mum and baby (if requested)
- Background notes and relevant reading material to introduce the topic prior to the session.
CMWA presents to Year 11 'Early Childhood Studies' students, as well as wider range of Year groups and subject areas. The content is in alignment with DET curriculum subject areas of Health and Physical Education and Society and Environment and on request can be easily tailored to fit other curriculum requirements.
The presentation and associated discussion takes approximately one hour and is a FREE service. Our presenters are warm and engaging Registered Midwives or Childbirth Educators with experience working with both groups and individuals around childbirth issues. For further information, or to book an education session, please contact us.